Five Tips to Prevent Household Pests
When you find pests, getting rid of them can be seem like a full-time job, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to bugs! Here at Bama Exterminating, we have over 80 years of experience in the pest industry, so we know all the places bugs like to hide. Follow our tips below to stop an infestation before it ever starts and enjoy a pest-free home!
1. Seal Openings And Entryways
Although small cracks may not seem like a big enough space to let in pests, any crack that is big enough to let light in is big enough for a bug. Focus on these areas to keep pests out:
- Repair broken window screens
- Recaulk all doors and windows
- Install an aluminum door sweep on any outside doors
Repairing and upgrading these items will provide a barrier to keep bugs out and can even help reduce your energy bill. That’s what we call a win-win!
2. Store Food The Right Way
This may seem like a given, but be sure to put away and store all food. Even the tiniest of crumbs can feed an infestation of pests. What’s more, a pantry full of improperly sealed containers offers an entire feast for them and welcomes an infestation in the last place you want one. Prevent pests by following these tips:
- Store food and pet food in airtight containers. Store opened flour, sugar, and other items in containers or plastic bags, and be sure to always wipe jars off after use before you return them to the pantry.
- Limit places you eat. Carpet and couches tend to harbor crumbs. Limit the places you eat because chances are you’ll somehow spill crumbs!
- Quickly clean dirty dishes and refrain from leaving standing water in the sink. Unlike humans, bugs love dirty dishes and sink water. Try to avoid leaving dirty dishes in the sink, and especially avoid leaving them sitting in standing water.
- Clean tables and eating spaces often to keep crumbs to a minimum. Even with the best efforts, a few crumbs still make it to unwanted places. Vacuum the places that you eat often to suck up crumbs before pests find them.
3. Dispose Of Garbage The Right Way
Just as many icky creatures do, pests love the trash. Keep them out of yours by following these tips:
- Put a lid on your trash can. This applies for trash cans inside and out!
- Keep trash cans and recycling bins clean. Make sure to always keep a bag in the bin, and try to spray out and sanitize trash cans every few months for a fresh start.
- Rinse recyclables before adding them to the bin. You can be sure that pests will find even the smallest remnants on your cans and bottles. To keep bugs away, give recyclables a good rinse before tossing them.
- Don’t leave sitting garbage inside your home or close to the perimeter. Although it may seem tempting on a cold night, don’t leave a bag full of garbage in your home when it’s ready to be taken out. More importantly, don’t leave it right outside of your front door either! This is a clear invitation for pests to come inside.
4. Be Mindful Of Your Outdoor Area
You may think the only areas to be mindful of are on the inside, but having a yard that’s full of pests gets them one step closer to getting inside your home. Typical bug breeding grounds and hiding places include:
- Wood Piles: Be sure to store piles away from the house with room for air to circulate, and wait to bring wood inside until right when you’re ready to use it.
- Overgrown Brush and Trees: When trees or bushes touch your home, it offers bugs one more path to reach the inside. Keep foliage trimmed to help keep pests away from your house.
- Standing Water: Anything from holes to toys can be an opportunity for standing water to accumulate, and bugs to breed. Fill in or remove areas that tend to fill with water for a bug-free yard!
5. Let The Experts Handle It
Pests are sneaky, and sometimes even with all the right preventative efforts, they still seem to find their way into your home. If you’re looking for a surefire way to prevent pests this winter, let the experts at Bama Exterminating help. We offer an array of different preventative and reactive pest control treatments — and we can keep common winter pests out of your home for the long haul. Remember, like humans, pests are seeking warm shelter during the cold months so you may see an influx during the chillier months!
Save Money with Bama!
Get a Free Quote Today!
We would love to hear from you. Just fill out the form below and one of our members will contact you with a no obligation quote.